Sunday, August 12, 2007

The sweat of my...everywhere

As many of you may know this summer I have been an intern at a consulting firm for non-profit organizations called Paul J. Strawhecker, Inc.

On Friday we took the afternoon off from our normal business attire of dress slacks and button-up shirts to paint splattered shorts and t-shirts. Exchanged our computers for powerdrills, pens for hammers. We took a break from helping non-profits by helping them raise money and helped Habitat for Humanity with our time and the sweat of our brow...and back, shoulders, arms, basically everywhere (that's Nebraska for ya during a heat wave, 97 degrees with over 90 percent humidity).

I was apart of the team cutting and putting up drywall, while the rest of the group was putting up a decorative panelling for the ceiling of the outdoor patio. After being inside of an office where my efforts are stored inside of a computer box, it was extremely gratifying to see the direct result of my, our labors. Before we arrived this stairwell wasn't drywalled when we left it was. The work was gratifying and it was refreshing to see a directly see the results of my work. It reminded me of a quote from the prophet Gordon B. Hinckley's talk "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel."

There is no substitute under the heavens for productive labor. It is the process by which dreams become realities. It is the process by which idle visions become dynamic achievements.

Though my work may be menial, though my contribution may be small, I can perform it with dignity and offer it with unselfishness. My talents may not be great, but I can use them to bless the lives of others. I can be one who does his work with pride in that which comes from hand and mind. I can be one who works with respect for my associates, for their opinions, for their beliefs, with appreciation for their problems and with a desire to help them should they stumble. I believe in the principle that I can make a difference in this world. It may be ever so small. But it will count for the greater good
The last quotation I found while rereading the talk and I will try to instill in my life.



No comments: