Monday, August 6, 2007

A "failure" in my brother's eyes

On Friday evening my youngest brother Erik (9) and I were watching TLC's "What Not to Wear." The person was a 24 year-old girl who was dressing like a punk rocker to her high-end Interior Design firm. Within a few moments of Erik sitting down to watch the show the following conversation took place:

"She's dumb she's not married," said Erik.
"How do you know she isn't married?" I replied.
"She doesn't have a ring on," Erik said nonchalantly. "Everyone should be married by the time they are 19."

I was shocked to discover:

a) My 9 year-old brother has already gained the habit of looking at people's hands to see if they are married, when I myself didn't get into the habit of looking until my first year at BYU.

b) I'm a "failure" in my brother's eyes having reached the "ripe old age" of 20 without a husband, nor any prospects.

But I'm okay with having accomplished this "failure," it'll happen when it happens and as long as there is cake at the reception I'm sure Erik'll be happy whenever it happens.

1 comment:

beckee said...

Wow Sarah-what a failure!! I guess I was a failure too as I was 22 when I got married...